Sunday, July 27, 2008

Go Camping with a Kindle

Vacation was finally here, and I was going through my final checklist to make sure we had everything we needed. Of course, you are always going to forget something, and typically, you could run out and get it, but when you are headed to the mountains for 5 days of camping and hiking, that may not be the best plan.

As I went through my list, I was able to check everything off with ease until I got to #9.

1. Tent
2. Air Mattress
3. Sleeping Bags
4. Backpack
5. Cooler (food is on a different list)
6. Lantern
7. Stove, butane, and cooking/serving accessories
8. Clothes and shoes/boots
9. Books

Ok, so which book(s) do I want to read? Will I still be interested in the same book I packed when I get there or will I go through the never ending wishful thinking of "why didn't I bring the other book?" Once I realized that the solution was staring me in the face, a huge smile graced my lips as if I had figured out one of the world's greatest problems. Well ok, maybe not that huge, but you get where I am going with my excitement. I realized that I had all of my favorites already loaded on my Kindle and marked through the word Books and wrote in the word Kindle, and all was good.

Given that my Kindle weighs a little over 10 ounces, my backpack just became lighter and roomier considering I wasn't going to have to bring 3 of my bulky books with me, that I may or may not have read. I started to worry about battery life, but realized the battery would last over a week without wireless access, which would get me through the entire trip. I already had a rechargeable booklight and a fancy little solar charger (this is really cool) just in case.

Solutions to life's little problems are always staring us in the face if we take the time to look. My vacation was phenomenal. We camped, hiked, enjoyed the outdoors, and I was able to read almost 3 books on my trip. I even loaded a copy of Haunted Heritage: A Definitive Collection of North American Ghost Stories, just in case I was called upon for a campfire story or two. Verwy Scarwy! Have a great time on your next trip to the great outdoors!

No comments: