Sunday, September 7, 2008

Kindle: What is that?

I was sitting at the doctor's office the other day waiting for my appointment to begin. Granted, I understand that there is an unwritten rule whereby you must wait the allotted amount of time to actually see the doctor which is actually your designated appointment start time plus your age minus your shoe size multiplied by your IQ and divided by your lack of patience, or so I am told. Luckily, I had tucked my Kindle into my bag prior to leaving the house just in case I had to wait. Who am I kidding? Of course I knew I was going to have to wait and had the foresight to plan ahead, thank goodness.

There I sat, reading my latest downloaded book, Conspiracy in Death by J.D. Robb, minding my own business, when my peripheral vision went into high gear when I started to notice other impatiently waiting patients were straining to see what kind of technical gizmo device I had just retrieved from my bag. I tried to ignore them as long as I could and tried to continue with my reading, but much to my dismay, it wasn't possible. And I did it. I did the worst thing I could've possibly done. I looked up from my Kindle, made eye contact with the man sitting across from me, and smiled. That was the end of my reading and the beginning of my first Kindle promotion session of the day.

"What IS that thing?" he asked.

"It's a Kindle." I answered.

"What's a Kindle?" he asked again and with that, it was all over.

We chatted for about 5 minutes as he repositioned his vantage point from across the aisle from me to sitting immediately to my right. His vacated seat was quickly then taken by another woman who had become interested in our conversation and as I looked around, others were beginning to eavesdrop. I enjoyed my time promoting the new Kindle reading device and encouraged all of them to look into purchasing one. At last, my name was called, as it was finally time for my appointment, or so I thought.

Yes, the second phase of medical waiting began. I was weighed first and then asked to take a seat in the 2nd room on the right. My blood pressure and temperature were then taken and I was told the doctor would be in momentarily, which in medical terms means anywhere from 5 minutes to whenever the heck the doctor is ready to see me. So once again, I sat and waited, and read Conspiracy in Death on my Kindle.

The doctor finally came into the room less than 20 minutes later, which was much better than I had anticipated and I was thankful. But wouldn't you know it....the first thing he asked me was, "What is that?" I just laughed and realized that my second Kindle lesson had just begun.

I continued to be amazed at how many people don't know about the Kindle and at how excited I get every time someone asks me about it. If you haven't seen one yet, you need to so someone can ask you, "What is that?"

No comments: